This is Moment of Healing with Ode Idoko. I am here to help you heal emotionally, psychologically, physically and spiritually.
Today, we shall be looking at “Never Give Up”
Let me share a quick story and some important life lessons with you…
Yesterday afternoon I was replying to emails and coaching inquiries when I came across an email from one of the numerous listeners to Moments of Healing. The subject read:
“Your words gave me strength when I was dying.”
The opening paragraph of her email went on to say, “I just wanted to thank you for giving me hope and strength” and she went on to narrate how she found her healing when it looked like humanity had abandoned her and the only hope left for her was despair.
Incredible! Talk about a brave woman and an inspiring turn of events. And then she wrapped up her email with this sentence: “I’m just so grateful I get to use what you’ve taught me in my second chance at life.”
Above all else, her email reminded me that too many of us wait too long to live our best lives. We keep putting everything off until tomorrow. Then, before we know it, we find ourselves asking, “How did it get so late so soon?” Don’t let this be YOU.
Like this listener, make today the beginning of your second chance at life. Take time to figure yourself out. Take time to realize what you want and need. Take time to take risks. Take time to love, laugh, cry, learn, and forgive. Life is shorter than it often seems. Here are five important things you need to know, before it’s too late:
1. This moment is your life. – Your life is not just between the moments of your birth and death. Your life is between now and your next breath. The present – the here and now – is all the life you ever get. So live each moment in full, in kindness and peace, without fear and regret. And do the best you can with what you have in this moment; because that is all you can ever expect of anyone, including yourself.
2. Our lifetime is short. – This is your life, and you’ve got to fight for it. Fight for what’s right. Fight for what you believe in. Fight for what’s important to you. Fight for the people you love, and never forget to tell them how much they mean to you and how much you love them. Realize that right now you’re lucky because you still have a chance. That you are listening to me right now shows that no matter how life has adversely treated you, there is still hope for you.
So stop for a moment and think. Whatever you still need to do, start doing it today. Today is the youngest you will ever be.
“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma—which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
– Steve Jobs, founder of Apple
Friends, life is short.
3. The Sacrifices pay dividends
The sacrifices you make today will pay dividends in the future. – When it comes to working hard to achieve a dream – earning a degree, starting a business, or any other personal achievement that takes time and commitment – one thing you have to ask yourself is: “Am I willing to live a few years of my life like many people won’t, so I can spend the rest of my life like many people can’t?”.
Sacrifices surely pay dividends. We know there are two kinds of pains in life- pains of discipline and pains of regrets. Invest in yourself and you shall reap the dividends soon.
4. You are your own best friend – Happiness is a choice you have to make in every situation. It is not the absence of crisis or trials but your decision or choice to see beyond the crisis to the silver lining ahead. Happiness is when you feel good about yourself without necessarily feeling the need for anyone else’s approval.
You must first have a healthy relationship with yourself before you can have a healthy relationship with others. You have to feel worthwhile and acceptable in your own eyes, so that you’ll be able to look confidently into the eyes of the people around you and connect with them.
5. Behind every beautiful life, there has been some kind of pain. – You trip and you fall, you make mistakes and you fail, but you stand strong through it all – you live and you learn.
You’re human, not perfect. You’ve been wounded, not defeated. Think of what a priceless gift it is to grow through these experiences – to breathe, to think, to struggle, and to overcome challenges in the pursuit of the things you love.
Yes, sometimes you will encounter heartache along the way, but that’s a small price to pay for immeasurable moments of love and joy. Which is why you must keep stepping forward even when it hurts, because you know the inner strength that has carried you this far can carry you the rest of the way.
This is this story of colt and ass in the Bible that never ceases to amaze me. They were tied to a tree and their only allowable distance to move was the circumference of the rope. They lived:
- Unfulfilled purpose- Beast of burden but had never been used;
- Life of bondage and captivity – tied to a rope to a tree trunk;
- Though close to a place of celebration, Jerusalem, they experienced any form of celebration;
- Generational curse- mother and child were tied down. I don’t know what your condition is like. Perhaps you are supposed to be medical doctor but you are on the street roaming aimlessly. It may seem you will never fulfil you purpose in life, I say never give;
- The situation may look very scary and hopeless, I say hold on, never give up;
- You may be wondering right now, “is this how my life is going to end?” I say never give up;
- Perhaps your mates are all working and gloriously married with their kids and you have concluded life has abandoned you forever, I say to you never give up;
- It may look like a generational curse, from great grandparents to grandparents and to your parents and now you and you have concluded it is your lot in life. I say never give you!
- Because your story will never end like that.
Finally, Jesus appeared on the scene and:
- They were freed;
- They fulfilled their purpose as Jesus rode on them;
- They were celebrated as women spread their wrappers- hollandaise, judges, hi-targets, laces and pal fronts on the floor for them;
- That generational curse was broken.
Just hold on a little longer, never giving up and your miracles shall be born.